The castle was the traditional place of departure from the mainland for
the funeral boats carrying the kings of Scotland to burial on the holy island of Iona.
Built in 1370, it originally belonged to the Ross family. It was given to Sir Robert
Boyd by King Robert the Bruce. The castle was unroofed in a storm in 1739 and has been
in ruins ever since. It went through various other owners until it was "inherited"