Posted at Portencross Castle:


Portencross formerly Port in Cross and previously known variously as Portus Cruis, Pencross, Port na Crois and Portcroash, was at one time a harbour of some importance. The present castle was built during the reign of Robert II (1370-1390). There appear to be seven extant charters in existence of his and following reigns all signed at Portencross castle. The bodies of the Kings of Scotland lay here on passage to Iona.

The current Castle and the lands of Ardneil were in possession of the Boyd’s of Kilmarnock who were cousins to Robert II. The castle continued to be inhabited until 1739 when it was passed into the hands of the Crauford’s of Auchnames at about this time. William Adams Esq. purchased the castle earlier this century.

From William Adams the Castle and the surrounding village passed to the South of Scotland Electricity Board, then to Scottish Nuclear and on the 1st of April 1997 it was "inherited" by Magnox a wholly government owned company who have responsibility for decommissioning Hunterston 'A' power station. The castle has remained as a romantic ruin and is a "Listed Ancient Monument". Magnox now propose to sell the castle and the foreshore at Potencross on the open market.

The Potencross Association and their "Friends" wish the castle and foreshore to remain in 'Public' hands in order that access to the foreshore can continue and that the castle remains a stabilised romantic ruin.

The association is therefore actively trying to raise an acceptable sum of money by way of promissory notes in order to achieve these aims.

We are also circulating a petition locally in order to show Magnox that there is a groundswell of public opinion in favour of the association's aims.

We ask for your support.